Friday 4 May 2007

Article 9, Ayako Hirata and some last drinks - Tue 1 May

This morning was my morning fated for cleaning the loos. Unfortunately, the gloves didn't fit, so I missed out on my chance. Instead, I put price stickers on goods in the shop. Darn-o.

After breakfast, the guests for Satish's retreat had a heartfelt discussion of article 9 in the Japanese consitution, put in place immediately after World War II. "Aspiring sincerely to an international peace based on justice and order, the Japanese people forever renounce war as a sovereign right of the nation and the threat or use of force as means of settling international disputes." Recent neighbouring political turmoil and a pending election have been levers for debate of the ongoing legitimacy of this clause, and the group seized upon promoting this constitutional clause internationally as a world-leading concept, in order to bring pressure domestically to retain it.

Organisation of a concert was suggested, with Satish declaring, "I know some musicians. We could get Annie Lennox, I'm sure we could persuade her. And she has a new album coming out."
Satish explained to the group how truth isn't a first principle, that non-violence is. Truth has many names, and is based on perspective - there is no truth, only truths.

In my morning kitchen work, Yasuyo san said in her usual, mildly daunting, style, that there was something required of me. She elaborated, requesting I sing for her, to relieve her PMS symptoms. I belted some out. Jason's 'Evolution' 80s collection inspired 'The Lady in Red', which suited my voice nicely. Yasuyo suggested some Bob Marley, a taste acquired when she lived in Nimbin, Australia. 'Que Sera' got some group participation, and Joni Mitchell's 'Case Of You' turned out to be a grand performance piece, raising some interested comments from the customers drifting in, and bringing the show to a close.

Here, Nobi and Yasuyo san make dumplings for the soba noodles to be eaten in hot soup with our evening meal, and Ai gets in on the picture.


I spoke to Ayako Hirata, interested to see what her voice sounded like and, as always, suggest she might be interested in hearing my work and might like an electronic remix of her predominantly world-oriented music - a listen here. I swapped contact details.

Usui san offered me the much-complimented alcohol wholesaler's waist-apron I've been wearing at Shalom Hutte. Apparently, there's an emerging fashion trend of wearing just such aprons as casual wear. This is to be confirmed at a later stage before committing to said fashion.

Our dinner of soba noodles in hot soup.


Saki san organised some impromptu drinks for my last night, which four of us enjoyed. Saki and I talked at the end of the night about the restaurant he hopes to run one day, where all kinds of people can happily eat, and he went through the recipes for me that I'd noted an interest in.

No comments: