Saturday 5 May 2007

I leave Shalom, via 'Sheep Shop' cafe - Wed 2 May

I went for my last top-of-the-morning yoga, then packed my remarkably heavy bags.

I gave the kitchen folk one of my Aussie gifts, a pot holder, and the pension folk a little plush Koala with a magnet in the back. I gave some keyrings to my new friends, the experience co-workers.

After some farewells, Kimi chan drove me to the station a little early, luckily, as getting the tickets for 3 train changes is no simple matter.

Afterwards, we popped in to the cafe opposite, Hitsuji-ya, literally 'Sheep Shop'. Kimi introduced me to the friendly owner. I had some lovely caramel ice milk, and some fluffy banana cake, and had a look around the shop's display of locally designed postcards and matchboxes for sale. Kimi offered to buy me a box of matches, and I explained I'd been considering it for a gift. The owner was very impressed by this Japanese, "...so natural that you'd think a Japanese person was speaking." He asked me for a photo and a quote, and has posted both on his blog along with his praise. You're never to big to enjoy a compliment. I notice in his heading for the blog post, written in Japanese, he's picked up on the popular "Luke Skywalker" concept - 日本を旅するルーク(スカイウォーカー).


Kimi waved me off from the platform until I was out of sight, and my six hour, three train journey to Wakayama was underway.

An announcement on the second train apologised profusely at each stop that it was inexcusably three minutes behind schedule.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can only imagine the looks of bewilderment on faces of fellow passengers if the same thing happened on a Connex service! - David