Sunday 22 April 2007

Another customerless day, night time hanami and an Onsen - Fri 20 Apr

Woke for a 7am start, no guests again last night.

Packed frozen menu items into plastic bags. Cleaned windows listening to Lamb on my headphones, regularly taking conscious note of the spectacular a vista reflected back in the glass.

The wind is awful - I thought a vegan diet made rose-scented wind??

After breakfast, I pulled violas and another fast-spreading plant from the front garden, uprooted a couple of underperforming bushes, and won a transplanting battle against a huge azalea.


All alone, in that beautiful field. I also smacked my head into a low hanging tree branch, and so have my first visible signs of battle with Japan's Low Things. I also got mildly sunburned today! Must be the altitude!

Unexpectedly, I'm feeling like I don't want to have to learn more Japanese words to have to communicate. It may just be that I'm darn tired.

It's tricky understanding neither the detailed instructions, nor the larger plan.

Helped Usui san with a bit of building, working toward enclosing a wall around the pizza and bread oven.


Had more organic pizza for lunch, yummo. Mami san cooks the pizzas every day for the guests, and we seem to score a couple each day.


Cleaned mouse poo and accumulated grot from pantry shelves with a dustpan and broom and water and a cloth for 2 hours. They have a Sodastream in there!

I set out some wares and various books in their little shop. I'll have to buy some things for back home - I have a couple of people in mind. :)

Free time, yay. Finished off my long overdue email replies, and holiday picture emailing to co-travellers.

I managed to completely bust my glasses today. They are both snapped at the bridge, and scratched on one lens. I'm glad I went to the effort to organise some contact lenses before leaving home, amid the final rush.

We drove off to night time hanami for some dinner. The I Can't Believe It's Not Chicken chunks, "daizuu tampaku" were delicious. Blueberry cake was yum. I told a bad "oyaji gyaggu" (dad joke) and had the word "samui", meaning "I feel cold", explained in this context to me for the second time in about a week. Take in Osaka had also felt compelled to explain the phrase as well. :o)


We had alcohol made from soba grains, mixed in cups with hot asian tea. It tasted very strong.


We then piled back in the people mover off to hot spring baths, my first onsen in Nagano, called "Fain Byuu" (Fine View). It was very large inside, and had a big semicircular deck looking out over the twinkling suburbs of Nagano. It had a comfortable family air about it, and was quite busy, unlike all the baths I went to while I was holidaying in Beppu down south.

The girls slept in the car on the way back to Shalom Hutte.

No comments: