Sunday 29 April 2007

Soup fog, 3 hours of dishes, and a new roomy - Sun 29 Apr

No yoga this morning - there was the understanding that if there were lots of guests and no room for us, the plebs would be sent off - better not to get out of bed!

It was a cold and soup-foggy morning.


The troupe of 20 guests were out for the morning eco tour. Just as the tour was concluding, the fog rapidly lifted.


It turned into a warm and beautiful day, the best weather since I arrived in Nagano.

I vacuumed, and picked leaf shoots from a tree that were turned into tempura tonight.

I delivered about 20 pizzas at the restaurant, which was fun. In between pizzas, I watched Mami san's base-making technique, practising on my leg. Hopefully I'll get a chance to make one for workers' grub before I go.

During the break, I went out with Ai for a walk to the post box, and posted some post cards. I was feeling like I hadn't made enough of an effort to get outside and explore a bit.

We walked by this unusual scene on the way.


We walked back via a different route, and came across a gallery. Entry was 800 yen, including a cuppa. The art felt a bit more like an unaffordable lighting and furniture store, with some nice decorating art thrown in in a couple of places.


I learned the Japanese phrase, "There's one too many zeros." There was a broad green view from the cafe out to the mountains. The coffee I had was dreadful, but at least the presentation was interesting.


It was a lovely walk on a beautiful day. We traipsed through this scenic little bit of woods on our way back.


I met Yumi tonight, who I'm now sharing my room with. Tall, a deep voice and very capable, she reminds me a little of Sam Bell from Deloitte. I've had to do some tidying to make room amid my greedy mess.

There was a special guest speaker tonight from India, complete with translator, so the pension is packed and dinner at the restaurant was consequently interestingly hectic. I had an opportunity to work on my fast-forward dish drying skills for three hours. I'm now very, very efficient - a skill I can use always.

One of the dishes for the workers' dinner tonight was Pork Kimchee. Got the recipe for that one too, it was deee-licious!

Saki san went to buy alcohol for us to have a little party from 10, but the gathering in the restaurant would not disperse. They were still at it till 11:30, including an acapella Ave Maria, by which time our party mood had evaporated. We're now hoping for tomorrow night instead.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How'd you manage the dish-scrub improvement without shoulder rubs?! I'd never have believed it..

Anonymous said...

Wowies! That woodsie scene reminds me SO much of the outdoor scenery in 'Rashomon'. Wonder if it was filmed there??

Anonymous said...

さんぽたのしかったね

わたしはきょうやまのうえにのぼったよ
ちょうがたけ

ルークのシャロムせいかつもおわりだからさみしいけど、このさきのたびもたのしんでね♪