Sunday 22 April 2007

The call to Shalom - Tue 17 Apr

A call came in the morning from my first host farm, Shalom Hutte in Nagano, asking me to come today. I'd emailed them a couple of days earlier.

Teru did in 10 minutes on the internet and phone what I would struggle to do in 3 hours with my limited Japanese and knowledge of sites, finding transport and connections for me and pricing my fancy Sennheiser HD580 headphones.

I made a traditionally effortful journey from Teru's place to Hotaka station in Nagano. My luggage is heavy. The bus left from the opposite side of the station to what we were told and I missed the bus. Ugh. Struggle. I caught the train instead.

I listened to Jason's eighties music, pet-named "Evolution", on the way out, using my new adaptor and in-ear headphones. Damn, the sad songs from the eighties don't hold back! The staff at Shalom Hutte had asked me to call once I knew when I would arrive. I called from the train at the start of my 3+ hour journey, every 15 minutes or so, till I arrived, and still no-one answered. (We've since figured out the phone ringer is playing up.) Luckily, when I arrived at the quaint station, a guest and another Japanese "experience worker" (like me) were waiting to be picked up.



A view of Shalom Hutte - guesthouse to the left, shop at right, restaurant out of picture on right.

When we arrived, we were shown to our sleeping spots. I have a room to myself, but people pass through to other rooms. I took the bunk on the bottom. Please note the exceptionally low entrance doorway - a story in a later post, but I think you'll guess the theme.

I was asked to do a two minute self introduction to the staff by the head of staff, Yasuyo san, aka Bianca. I hadn't done one since about Year 9, so my ideas on what to include were a little rusty - you can't really talk about liking history class.

As it was the first night, the two new faces, myself and Yamakura san, were to experience a night as guests of the pension (inn) do. So we had the guest vegan dinner at the restaurant (pictures of Shalom Hutte's food in a coming post!).

An interesting concept from Japanese dining - instead of a doggy bag or leftovers, turn the rice you haven't eaten into an onigiri (rice ball).

After dinner, we went with the guests for a slide show and introduction from Usui san, who has owned and run Shalom Hutte since 1979. He's quite a character.

Sitting on the floor around a table with our feet and legs down in a gap under the table, we joined in a varied chat about ourselves, facilitated by Usui san. One man there with his wife was taking leave from making an underground train system in Dubai, and told lots of interesting stories about the place. The calamitous "Japan will be over in 10-30 years" topic was raised - other countries are catching up, and the young these days, well...

No comments: