Friday 20 April 2007

Beppu Sex Museum - Fri 13 Apr

Beppu's sex museum was quite the cultural experience. It some had life sized dioramas of sex acts. One displayed one of the seven dwarfs performing cunningulus on Snow White, to the horror of the Prince looking through the window.



Models of whales penises and vaginas,


statues,


Japanese antique erotic wood block prints,


and one of the ride-on bulls that I saw at Don Quijote that was being ridden by a woman reading a book (book not pictured at this stage).



There were some other interactive exhibits too. For one, when you put your eye to a plastic-sealed darkened hole and daringly push a button, the interior of the box lights up in red and suddenly there's a female mannekin urinating toward your face. Certainly beyond the expected, but not completely outside the context.


In another, you push a button repeatedly and a mannekin's skirt blows up, Marilyn-style. And, a common tourism attraction in Japan, the face cutout for photos.

I farewelled my Parisien friends and hurried out to see the bus I wanted drive past me. I caught a reasonably cheap taxi to the station after finding that the next bus wasn't for 30 minutes, which would cost me my last Beppu bath.

No comments: